The BIMe Dictionary
The BIM Dictionary provides a reliable resource for establishing a common understanding of frequently used terms across the Design, Construction and Operation (DCO) sectors. The BIM Dictionary connects hundreds of terms to their vetted descriptions and translations, and act as a peer-reviewed reference to online guides and tools.
As an ongoing project with more than 50 worldwide volunteers, the BIM Dictionary has the following objectives:
- Provide an accessible, easy-to-use glossary of terms needed to discuss and promote digital innovation;
- Provide a research-driven description of these terms according to clear selection, inclusion, and rejection rules;
- Provide translations into many world languages to encourage – using common terms and descriptions - collaboration across markets;
- Provide reliable reference material through peer-sourcing (as opposed to crowd-sourcing adopted by Wikipedia or similar) and peer-review;
- Provide a resource for developing higher-level Knowledge Blocks (e.g. Competency Items) that require an interconnected set of Dictionary Items;
- Provide an online resource for websites, blogs, digital tools and documents.
The BIMe Initiative
The BIM Dictionary project is part of the not-for-profit BIMe Initiative. For more information, please visit: http://BIMexcellence.org/.
The BIM Dictionary Team
The BIM Dictionary is developed and maintained by ChangeAgents AEC p/l (CA) and is based on the published research of Dr. Bilal Succar. The development of the online tool is lead by Sean Dodsworth who contributed his time and expertise towards this effort.
The BIM Dictionary includes hundreds of items translated into an increasing number of world languages. The translation process is key part of this project and is delivered through an international Editorial Team composed of the following Editors:
- Head Editor + English Language Editor: Dr. Bilal Succar of ChangeAgents AEC, Australia
- Assistant Editor + Italian Language Editor: Ms. Marzia Bolpagni, PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Translated items and editorial help is provided through the generous contributions of Language Editors - in order of availability:
- Spanish Language Editor: Mr. Victor Roig Segura (Editor) of Bimetric Lab, and Mr. Angel Esteve (co-Editor) of the Ministry of Public Works, Spain
- French Language Editor: Mr. Patrick Riedo of ObjectifBIM, France.
- Arabic Language Editors: Mr. Omar Selim (Editor, Egypt) and the following co-Editors from the BIMarabia team: Ms. Sonia Ahmed, Ms. Najwa Hassan, Mr. Motasem Albanna, and Mr. Ahmad Lutfi.
- Lithuanian Language Editor: AProf. Vladimir Popov (Editor) and AProf. Tatjana Grigorjeva (co-Editor) of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania
- Russian Language Editor: Ms. Marina Korol of Concurator, Russian Federation.
- Chinese Language Editors: Dr. Song Gao (Editor) of Tongji University; and Mr. Weidong Li (co-Editor) of Shanghai Urban Construction Design & Research Institute, China
- German Language Editors: Mr. Stephan Liedtke (Editor) of BIMsource.de (Germany). Stephan is supported by Mr. Dimitry Demin of algotecture, Mr. Sebastian Dietrich, Master's candidate at Bauhaus University, Mr. Samir Alzeer, Information Manager at BAM Deutschland AG, and Mr. Adrian August Wildenauer of pom+ Consulting AG, Switzerland.
- Persian Language Editor, Dr. Farzad Pour Rahimian, (Editor) and Ms. Maryam Asgari (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) from the University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom; Mr. Saeed Banihashemi (co-Editor), PhD Candidate at the University of Technology Sydney, Australia; and Ms. Samira Garshasbi (co-Editor) of Tehran Azad University, Iran.
- Croatian (Hrvatski) Language Editors: Mr. Damir Mance (Editor) of the University of Zagreb and Ms. Tea Helman Jukić and Hrvoje Jukić (co-Editors) of Arhitektonski studio Helman & Jukić. The Editors are assisted by Karlo Seitz and Marin Stojanović of the University of Zagreb, Croatia.
- Greek Language Editor: Dr. Georgios Kapogiannis (Editor) and Ms. Aikaterini Prevelianaki (co-Editor) of Anglia Ruskin University, United Kingdom, and Ms. Maria Tsekoura (co-Editor) of CERN, Switzerland.
- Italian Language Team: Ms. Marzia Bolpagni (Editor) PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano. Marzia is supported by the following co-Editors: Chiara Rizzarda and Claudio Vittori Antisari of Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel;
Silvia Mastrolembo Ventura, a PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano; Franco Pittoni of FP Opera; and Prof. Federico Pedron.
Note 1: Star identifies the team(s) that have completed a full translation (more than %95) of currently available terms
Note 2: All acknowledgements and a more complete list of the BIM Dictionary Editorial Team is provided here: http://bimexcellence.org/projects/bim-dictionary/
Follow, participate or sponsor this effort
The BIM Dictionary will be expanded through the efforts of Volunteer Supporters and Official Sponsors whose names and contributions will be acknowledged (to learn more, please use the buttons below). Regular updates covering this effort will be posted on both LinkedIn (BIM Excellence) and Twitter (@bimeInitiative).
Participate in this effortBecome a Sponsor