Last updated May 14, 2019
The BIMe Dictionary
The BIM Dictionary provides a reliable resource for establishing a common understanding of frequently used terms across the Design, Construction and Operation (DCO) sectors. The BIM Dictionary connects hundreds of terms to their vetted descriptions and translations, and act as a peer-reviewed reference to online guides and tools.
As an ongoing project with more than 70 worldwide volunteers, the BIM Dictionary has the following objectives:
- Provide an accessible, easy-to-use glossary of terms needed to discuss and promote digital innovation;
- Provide a research-driven description of these terms according to clear selection, inclusion, and rejection rules;
- Provide translations into many world languages to encourage – using common terms and descriptions - collaboration across markets;
- Provide reliable reference material through peer-sourcing (as opposed to crowd-sourcing adopted by Wikipedia or similar) and peer-review;
- Provide a resource for developing higher-level Knowledge Blocks (e.g. Competency Items) that require an interconnected set of Dictionary Items;
- Provide an online resource for websites, blogs, digital tools and documents.
The BIMe Initiative
The BIM Dictionary project is part of the not-for-profit BIMe Initiative. For more information, please visit: https://BIMexcellence.org/.
The BIM Dictionary Team
The BIM Dictionary is developed and maintained by ChangeAgents AEC p/l (CA) and is based on the published research of Dr. Bilal Succar. The development of the online tool is lead by Sean Dodsworth who contributed his time and expertise towards this effort.
The BIM Dictionary includes hundreds of items translated into an increasing number of world languages. The translation process is key part of this project and is delivered through an international Editorial Team composed of the following Editors:
- Head Editor + English Language Editor: Dr. Bilal Succar of ChangeAgents AEC, Australia
- Assistant Editor + Italian Language Editor: Dr. Marzia Bolpagni, BIM Advisor at Mace, UK
Translated items and editorial help is provided through the generous contributions of Language Editors - in order of availability:
- Spanish Language Editor: Mr. Victor Roig Segura (Editor) of Bimetric Lab, and Mr. Angel Esteve (co-Editor) of the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, Spain.
- French Language Team: Dr. Erik Poirier (Editor) from Régis Côté et Associés. Erik is assisted by Vincent Carignan and Franck Murat of BIM One Inc., Montreal, Canada.
- Arabic Language Editors: Mr. Omar Selim (Editor, Egypt) and the following co-Editors from the BIMarabia team: Ms. Sonia Ahmed, Ms. Najwa Hassan, Mr. Motasem Albanna, and Mr. Ahmad Lutfi.
- Lithuanian Language Editor: AProf. Vladimir Popov (Editor) and AProf. Tatjana Grigorjeva (co-Editor) of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania
- Russian Language Editor: Ms. Marina Korol of Concurator, Russian Federation.
- Chinese Language Editors: Dr. Song Gao (Editor) of Tongji University; and Mr. Weidong Li (co-Editor) of Shanghai Urban Construction Design & Research Institute, China
- German Language Editors: Mr. Stephan Liedtke (Editor) of BIMsource.de (Germany). Stephan is supported by Mr. Dimitry Demin of algotecture, Mr. Sebastian Dietrich, Master's candidate at Bauhaus University, Mr. Samir Alzeer, Information Manager at BAM Deutschland AG, Mr. Adrian August Wildenauer of pom+ Consulting AG, Switzerland, and Mr. Christopher Goersch, Research Assistant & PhD at Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany.
- Catalan Language Team: Mr. Victor Roig Segura and Xavier Pallás of Bimetric Lab, Spain.
- Persian Language Editor, Dr. Farzad Pour Rahimian, (Editor) and Mr. Saleh Seyedzadeh (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) from the University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom.
- Croatian (Hrvatski) Language Editors: Mr. Damir Mance (Editor) of the University of Zagreb and Ms. Tea Helman Jukić and Hrvoje Jukić (co-Editors) of Arhitektonski studio Helman & Jukić. The Editors are assisted by Karlo Seitz and Marin Stojanović of the University of Zagreb, Croatia.
- Greek Language Editor: Dr. Georgios Kapogiannis (Editor) from the University of Nottingham Ningbo China, and Ms. Aikaterini Prevelianaki (co-Editor) of Anglia Ruskin University, United Kingdom, Ms. Nina Vlachogianni (co-editor) of Alstom, United Kingdom, and Ms. Maria Tsekoura (co-Editor) of CERN, Switzerland.
- Italian Language Team: Ms. Marzia Bolpagni (Editor) BIM Advisor at Mace (UK). Marzia is supported by the following co-Editors: Chiara Rizzarda and Claudio Vittori Antisari of Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel; Silvia Mastrolembo Ventura, a PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano; Franco Pittoni of FP Opera; and Prof. Federico Pedron.
- Czech Language Team: Dr. Petr Matějka (Editor) from the Czech Technical University in Prague (CTU) and Ms. Štepánka Tomanová (co-Editor) from the Czech BIM Council (CzBIM), Czech Republic. Other members of core translation team from CTU or CTU-BIMLab are: Dr. Zdeněk Rudovský, Dr. Josef Žák, Mr. Robert Bouška, Ms. Magdaléna Kodetová and Mr. Martin Stránský. The translation of BIM Dictionary is supported by Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade and is in accordance with TNK152 of Czech Office for Standards, Metrology and Testing.
- Portuguese Language Editor: AProf. Eduardo Toledo Santos, University of São Paulo, Brazil. Eduardo is assisted by Prof. Regina Ruschel of UNICAMP, Fernanda Machado of NIB, Ivo Mainardi of Metrô de São Paulo, Dr. Ricardo Codinhoto of the University of Bath (UK), and Fabio Sato of Focus Design Partners.
- Bulgarian Language Editor: AProf. Boyan Georgiev (Editor) of the University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (UACEG), Bulgaria. Boyan is kindly supported by – all from UACEG - Assistant Prof. Gergana Antova, Faculty of Geodesy and Vasil Tanev, PhD Candidate at the Faculty of Civil Engineering. Internal review will be conducted by AProf. Mihaela Kouteva-Guentcheva, Faculty of Civil Engineering.
- Turkish Language Team: AProf. Umit Isikdag (Editor) of Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Turkey. Umit is supported by Ms.Burcu Esen Barutcu (co-Editor) of AEC3 Deutschland GmbH, Germany, and Mr. Dursun Furkan Capkin (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) at Yildiz Technical University, Turkey.
- Hungarian Language Team: Mr. István Csúsz (Editor) of Brick + Data Ltd. István is supported by AProf. Mihály Szoboszlai and Mr. Adam Kovács of Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and Mr. Attila Gyulai of Lechner Knowledge Center, Hungary. External review is conducted by Mr. Bence Dudas of DudaStudio Ltd.
- Slovenian Language Team: Ms. Mojca Roženičnik Korošec (Editor) and Dr. Andrej Tibaut (co-Editor), University of Maribor, Slovenia. External review is conducted by Dr. Tomo Cerovsek of the University of Ljubljana.
- Romanian Language Team: Mr. Dumitru Minciu (Editor) of Novart Engineering, Romania. Dumitru is supported by Ms. Alexandra-Ioana Giurgiu (co-Editor) of AECOM Romania, and Mr. Simon-Mihail Doxan (co-Editor) and Mr. Bogdan-Mihai Barabula (co-Editor) of Novart Engineering, Romania. The Editors are assisted by Prof. Ovidiu Suciu.
Note 1: Star identifies the team(s) that have completed a full translation (more than %95) of currently available terms.
Note 2: All acknowledgements and a more complete list of the BIM Dictionary Editorial Team is provided here: https://bimexcellence.org/projects/bim-dictionary/.
Follow, participate or sponsor this effort
The BIM Dictionary will be expanded through the efforts of Volunteer Supporters and Official Sponsors whose names and contributions will be acknowledged (to learn more, please use the buttons below). Regular updates covering this effort will be posted on both LinkedIn (BIM Excellence) and Twitter (@bimeInitiative).
Participate in this effort Become a Sponsor